The Machern Cistercian convent looks back on an eventful history. It was founded in 1238 and wine has been grown here since the beginning. After damage in the Thirty Years' War and rebuilding in the 18th century, it was finally closed at the beginning of the 19th century under Napoleonic occupation. For a long time the monastery buildings were used by the surrounding farmers and they fell into disrepair. Only in 1969 did the winery owner Franz Schneider rediscover the monastery. The renovation took over 20 years.
The monastery has belonged to a civic association since 2000 and is open to the public. In addition to a museum and a ballroom, a restaurant with its own brewery is the focus of the monastery.
Toy and Icon Museum:
Mondays & Fridays 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Tuesdays to Thursdays & weekends 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
daily from 11 a.m.
More information at klostermachern.de
September 28, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.