The Eigenamt, the area between Aare, Reuss and Kestenberg, belonged to the early Habsburg possessions. Radbot built the Habsburg around 1020/30 on the Wülpelsberg.The founding castle around 1020/30 consisted largely of wooden buildings. Only the fortified-representative residential building, a large multi-storey stone house, was built.In the last third of the 11th century was the expansion to a double castle. The front castle was supplemented with the east and the north tower. The oldest surviving structure of the Castle is the small tower, which dates back to the late 11th or early 12th century. During the 12th century, a two-storey chapel was built in the castle courtyardWith the expansion of the rear castle in the west originated from 1200 the big tower and the ring wall with Flankierungsturm in the northern slope. After 1230, the still existing castle of the rear castle was created with the Palas and the courtyard wall.After the Front Castle was abandoned and gradually disintegrated around 1220/30, the defensive ability of the Rear Castle towards the east was weakened. In the 14th or 15th century, a section trench dug out of the castle courtyard made it difficult to approach the Hintere Burg.After almost 300 years without major construction activities, Bern initiated remedial measures for the rear castle. Palas and courtyard were redesigned and expanded several times. By 1600 at the latest, the Sodbrunnen in the castle courtyard. In the 17th century the demolition of the castle chapel and the ruin of the fore castle took place.After decades of neglecting the buildings, the canton of Aargau made renovations from 1866 onwards. The current interior work of Palas and courtyard in the rear castle comes from a modern, not exactly datable conversion and renovations from 1866.After further renovation work in the back castle were excavated and conserved from 1978 to 1983, the ruins of the fore castle and examined in 1994/95 the castle courtyard.
February 23, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!