The construction of the mosque was started in 1779 and completed in 1792/93, the minarets were completed in 1795/96. The costs amounted to about 120,000 guilders. Thus, the mosque was the most expensive building in the garden. At the time of commencement of construction, the court had already moved to Munich, because Carl Theodor in 1778 Elector of Palatinate-Bavaria was.
The building did not have the function of an Islamic place of worship, but, following the Enlightenment overall concept of the Schwetzingen Palace Gardens, should express tolerance for all religions and cultures of the world. Islam represents the wisdom teachings associated with the Orient.
Although the building lacks some of the elements that are typical of mosques, it has at times been used for Islamic worship.Source Wikipedia
April 1, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!