A nice destination in Dresden is the Bismarck Tower in Cossebaude on the Herrenkuppe. The monument was erected in 1913 and completely renovated in 1999. Today it is used again for solstice celebrations and is a vantage point over Dresden.Since the establishment of the German Empire in 1871, student associations have kindled fires at prominent points in the landscape at the summer solstice. In 1898 the first fire from a "Bismarck Column" burned in Rudolstadt (Thuringia). That was the unofficial beginning of a nationwide construction of Bismarckian columns, which served to glorify the Reich Chancellor.
In 1899 a Bismarck column competition was announced by the building councilor Paul Wallot. The best design came from Wilhelm Kreis (architect of the Dresden Hygiene Museum). In 1913, the then beautification association commissioned the architect Rudolf Kolbe to design a similar monument in honor of Bismarck.
The foundation stone was laid on March 30, 1913, and the inauguration took place on June 22 of the same year with the solstice celebration. The Bismarck fire altar was built from syenite from the Cossebauder quarries on Talstrasse. The execution was in the hands of the master builder Säurich from Cossebaude.
The monument is square (3.2mx 3.2m) and 4.5m high. On one side there was a bust of Bismarck and on the opposite side a plaque of honor with the inscription: "Dedicated to our unforgotten Prince Bismarck by the Cossebaude and the surrounding area in 1913." Unfortunately this was destroyed after 1945.
The Bismarck Tower was renovated in 1999 and provided with a fire bowl. Since then, this monument has been used again for solstice fires. A new Bismarck relief has adorned the memorial since 2008 and a directional plaque on a granite base was set up by the Heimat- und Beschönerungsverein Cossebaude e.V.meinsachsen.net/poi/139/der_bismarckurm_cossebaude-aussichtpunkte_mit_bismarcksaeule.html
August 16, 2020
On March 30, 1913 the foundation stone was laid on the Herrenkuppe and the fire altar was inaugurated on June 22 of the same year.Syenite from the Cossebauder quarries on Talstrasse and shell limestone concrete were used as the building material. The execution was carried out by the master builder Säurich from Cossebaude, the cost was about 10,000 gold marks.On the west side of the square (3.20 m × 3.20 m) and 4.50 m high altar was a Bismarck bust by the sculptor Richard König from Radebeul, above the coat of arms of those of Bismarck and on the opposite side a plaque with the following inscription : "Our unforgettable Bismarck for lasting memories built in 1913. The committee for the establishment of a Bismarckung on the Herrenkuppe in Cossebaude."This was probably changed in 1924 to: "Dedicated to our unforgettable Prince Bismarck from the Cossebaude and Beautification Association in 1913"The bust and inscription were removed in 1945.After renovation in 1999, the fire altar was used again for solstice celebrations until 2008. In 2013 structural damage was repaired again and the fire bowl was removed without replacement, thus giving up the fire altar function. A Bismarck bust with name and life data was probably inserted in the latter renovation.
April 12, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.