Paléo (Old) Períthia with its 130 houses lies at an altitude between 420 and 480 meters in a large, fertile high valley just below the Pantokrátoras. Once there lived about 1200 - 1500 people.
After the Second World War, the last inhabitants left the place and while in other places numerous houses were demolished, modernized and rebuilt, this village remained untouched and decayed slowly. Thus, the Venetian character of the mountain village was preserved in a very pure form.
Finally, the village was rediscovered by descendants of the emigrants and opened a first tavern. Today the village has four taverns, an art studio, a beekeeping and a small pension.
The village is connected to the water and electricity network and can be reached via a narrow, reasonably paved road. Line or excursion buses come (still) none.
Gradually more of the better preserved houses are restored and made habitable again. Great emphasis is placed on preserving the original structure and character of the village. The entire village is a listed building.
So a pretty neat ghost village. Still very interesting there to make a round, to look at the old buildings, to see how nature is slowly recovering everything and how life returns to the village today
December 4, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!