The observation tower "Look around" was built on the initiative of the naturalist Johann Apollonius Weltrich 1837/1838. Weltrich was royal Rentamtmann in Kulmbach. He discovered in the Rhäto Lias transitional layers at Veitlahm plant fossils, which were named after him, such as the weltrichia mirabilis, of which a type specimen is kept at the University of Uppsala / Sweden. This specimen is assigned to the tree ferns and is also called miracle flower. On October 4, 1838, the tower was inaugurated. In his speech, Johann Apollonius Weltrich thanked all donors and the Veitlahm citizens for the hand and clamping services during the construction of the building. He ended his speech with the words: "Be happy and look around on the Patersberge". On the tower is a plaque with the inscription "For love of the Creator in concord 1837/38".
The large observation deck on the main building can be reached via a spiral staircase in the attached staircase tower, which is provided on the top with a second, smaller platform.
October 16, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!