Bike Touring Highlight
The parish church of the New Town, first mentioned in 1217, was a cruciform, single-aisled stone church, the traces of which can still be seen in the western building. It was dedicated to St. Catherine and St. Amalberga.The St. Katharinenkirche, is an outstanding masterpiece of North German brick art. The new building of the church began in the 1380s with the hall long house, which ended with a preserved in the roof, painted gable east to the east. 1395 followed the southern Corpus Christi chapel. The inscription for the inauguration of this section mentions 1401 the famous Heinrich Brunsberg from Szczecin as a master builder.Characteristic features are the buttresses drawn inwards, the smooth outer walls girded by bands of tracery and the figured vaults inside. The North Chapel was consecrated in 1434. Instead of the planned hall choir was built until 1474 the hallway choir. The 1494 rebuilt older west tower had to be rebuilt after collapse in 1582/92.Restoration took place in 1864-65 on the exterior and in 1842 and 1911-12 inside. The refurbishment, which has been in progress since 1970 to 1992, led to the reconstruction of the late Gothic room frame. The repair of roofs, tower and outer skin has been completed since 2004.The Katharinenkirche is the largest church in the city of Brandenburg an der Havel. It is rich in interiors and works of art, such as the octagonal bronze baptismal font of 1440 and the rich figure decoration in the gnarled niches of the sides.
May 3, 2019
Really nice. Sankt Katharinen is a three-aisled Late Gothic hall church and the Protestant parish church of the new town in Brandenburg an der Havel. It is one of the Brick Gothic churches with the richest architectural design and furnishings and is the largest church in the city.
October 30, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.