The Solidor tower is located at the mouth of the Rance, in the district of Saint-Servan and was built in 1382 in order to control the city of Saint-Malo. It is composed of three floors and has three round towers 18 meters high and a staircase of 104 steps.
Its life was very lively: The military occupied it for a long time to watch the estuary in order to block trade between Saint-Malo and Dinan. Subsequently, its floors were used as a prison during the Revolution and then as a warehouse under the Empire.
A cross resides at the foot of the tower. It was erected in 1985 on the rock where Jacques Cartier cast off for Canada in 1534
July 25, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!