Bike Touring Highlight
Old Romanesque cathedral, from the time when Bardowick was even more important than Lüneburg. If you are looking for the cathedral, you have to go into the village and look for the following streets: By the cathedral, Dom street.The church was like the 1146 documentary predecessor building a collegiate church, which belonged to a mission cell of the monastery Amorbach. The originally built wooden church had after the destruction of Bardowick by Henry the Lion in 1189 considerable damage, these are evidenced by a papal deed of 1194. From this predecessor there are only spolia in the area of the west-planned St. Stephen's Chapel and the towers. Here, cubes from the Lüneburg Schiltstein (a gypsum-bearing rock from Lüneburg limestone) have been used. From this stone, which weathered slightly, also the Romanesque portal has been built, which is protected by the upstream chapel.Declassified Letters of 1236 and 1300 point to the fundraising for the construction of a new old church. The financing is then ensured from 1381 by a chapter decision of the monastery and other letters of indulgence.The octagonal towers were built around 1300 from bricks. The further construction was delayed and began in 1389 with the construction of the choir. He is three-yoke with a 7/10 degree at a length of 28 meters and a width of 12.80 meters. The main house has four yoke length. Individual bricks could be dated on the basis of stamp impressions on a period from 1390 to 1409, since the stamp is identical to that of bricks of the Lüneburger Michaeliskirche.The attic is dendrochronologically dated to 1405 and 1428 respectively. The choir stalls was created in 1487. The porch in front of the south portal, which was built at this time, as can be seen in the older depictions, has since been demolished. From it remained the wooden sculpture of a sitting lion over the south portal, which is provided with a gilded lead coat and the inscription Vestigium Leonis.The cathedral is open daily from 9am to 4pm, in the summer months (April to September) until 5pm.Source: Wikipedia
August 22, 2016
You will learn interesting facts here:
January 1, 2017
Bardowick is a proud village. Not only because its asparagus and Thanksgiving - the largest in the entire north - are known far beyond the Lüneburg Heath. But above all, because the Bardowicker look back on a great history. The mighty cathedral and other medieval vestiges testify to the glory of the 6,500-soul community thousands of years ago.
August 19, 2017
The Gothic church had its beginnings as a wooden church in the 8th century. This was redesigned around the year 1000 to a stone church. The entrance area dates back to this time, but the rest of the church was destroyed with the city of Bardowick in an attack by Henry the Lion. It was rebuilt in the Gothic style between 1380 and 1485 as a hall church. It was planned as a bishopric, but because the then bishop preferred to remain in Verden, never used as such.Treasures such as the baptismal font of 1367, the high altar of 1425 or the oak stained choir stalls of 1486 can be found in the cathedral. One of the six bells in the tower is still preserved from the year 1130.
The cathedral bears the sign "Reliably opened church" and invites to encounter and contemplation.kirchenkreis-lueneburg.de/ihre_gemeinden/kirchengemeinden_land/bardowick
July 11, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.