Bike Touring Highlight
During the Weimar Republic - from 1926 to 1933 - the place was already known by its present name, to document the abolition of the monarchy in this prominent place. With the "seizure of power" of the National Socialists he was named back in Königsplatz.
The last battles of the Second World War took place in the center of Berlin, as a result of which the Reichstag building and the Platz der Republik in front of it were badly damaged. In the removal of the war debris, the bomb and grenade funnels were filled up on the square with ruin parts. After the time of the national socialism was finished, it got 1948 again the republican name.
May 22, 2019
Built in the neo-renaissance style by Paul Wallot in the Tiergarten district of 1884-94, on the left bank of the Spree, it housed both the Reichstag of the German Empire and the Diet of the Weimar Republic. After severe damage caused by the Reichstag fire of 1933 and during the Second World War, the building was restored in the 1960s in a modernized form and from 1991 to 1999 again fundamentally redesigned. ... During the Second World War, the building served as an air raid shelter with bricked windows. The AEG produced electron tubes there, a military hospital was set up and the gynecological ward of the nearby Charité moved here - a few hundred Berliners were born in the Reichstag building. ... During the division of Berlin, the Reichstag building was in the British sector. The Berlin Wall ran directly to the east side of the building. The "lonely, shattered Reichstag" became the symbol - as "sandstone colossus in the no-man's-land between the hostile world systems"
September 10, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!