Opening hours: in the summer daily from 8 - 20 o'clock, in the winter 8 o'clock until dusk.Guided tours in the context of city tours every Saturday from 11 o'clock, meeting point ascent to the Burghalde.Special tours on request.
St. Mang Church Kempten
Tel .: 0831-960955-0
St. Mang Square, open during the day;
Origins in the 8th century, Romanesque building 896, Protestant since 1525Since in the St. Mang Church free Kurzkirchenführer lie, here are a few episodes that are not in it:
The relief of 1912 in front of the main portal recalls the victory of St. Magnus over the serpent Boa. Symbol for the Christianization of the Celts and Alemanni.In the aisles and in the entrance area one finds so-called "captured chairs" with back and armrests.
For a fee, the influential families were allowed to sit here. The squares were marked with the family crest.
The simple people, on the other hand, had to make do with the unrestrained "female benches". 1912/1913 were new
Banks installed and abolished the naming. Special was also the "Herrgottsbescheisserle", which was granted to the better-off gentlemen: Under the seats was a fold-out plate, against which one could lean during the Liturgie "service life" in the church service.A special feature for decades was the "lantern weddings". In 1618, the magistrate decided that these special marriages should take place only on Fridays at dawn between five and six o'clock in the light of a lantern. Couples, who had obviously violated the commandment of chastity, received the blessing of the church.A chapter in itself is the tower: in the Gothic extension of the church, the outside tower was integrated into the building and adapted to the changed proportions. The church tower is up to the tower clocks (40 m) from Romanesque times. In 1440, the Kempten raised it to 66 m and built a belfry. They paid the bill with 520 talers out of indulgences. The bell tower became the "home" of the tower guard. He looked after the church clock and also had a keen eye on the city of Kempten. Every half hour he had to look for possible fires. The hunchback of St. Mang even had his own fire bell. It hung under the canopy of the west side .. After the invention of the phone received the Kempten tower guard was the first a "direct line" to police and fire. Until the end of 1921 the belfry was inhabited. The last bell ringer served for 21 years at a monthly salary of RM130. At the same time he worked as a cobbler. Since there was no toilet in the tower, he let his need in a bucket down the tower.
St. Mang is a Protestant-Lutheran parish church in the city of Kempten (Allgäu). She belongs to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Bavaria. The existing building dates to a large extent from the 15th century. It is dedicated to Saints Magnus and Ulrich of Augsburg, the latter is rarely mentioned from the early modern period. The church was from 1527 the center of the Reformation in the Kempten area. It is named for St. Mang Square.It was rebuilt in 1767 in Rococo style, a century later, the transformation in neo-Gothic style followed. From 1911 to 1913, many parts of this neo-Gothic remodeling of the exterior were dismantled, so that today's view is largely due to this restoration. In the 1970s, the interior was renovated; They put an altar pedestal with baptismal font under the historic pulpit, which was removed in 2007, the conversion of the interior again.The best-known piece of equipment is the high altar, made in 1893 and awarded a gold medal at the Chicago World's Fair, which has been on the church since 1906.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!