Mountain Biking Highlight
Built in the 13th century by the Lords of Hornberg, the castle was given over to the fief of the St. Gallen Monastery in 1349. In return, Werner von Hornberg received the reign of Ebringen. Already before 1500 the castle was abandoned and thus given over to decay.
The ruins on the district Ebringen consists of the remains of the keep and a residential building. Overall, it only has a length of 37 meters and a width of about 17 meters. The complex is surrounded by a wide ditch. The four-storey keep with two windows is located on the north side. The former residential building in the south of the complex is divided into two parts and in the courtyard, instead of the old well, a stone enclosure can be seen.
Many hikers and cyclists make their way each year to visit the castle ruins, which once and now a magnificent sight, to visit and enjoy the views of the valley and distant mountains. The Gasthaus Schönberg Hof below offers the opportunity to combine a visit to the ruins with a stop.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!