The castle ruins are freely accessible and were built around the year 1000.
After frequent destruction and subsequent reconstruction, the castle reached its climax when Landgrave Hermann von Hessen planned his campaigns from the castle from 1376 to 1390. In 1471 the castle began to decline due to the death of Landgrave Ludwig II. After the castle continued to fall into disrepair, the small keep was renovated from 1899 to 1901 by Gustav Siegel's initiative. In addition to the keep, which serves as a lookout tower, remains of the shield wall and a small and large neck ditch can still be seen today.
Today it is a popular hiking destination, as it is located on both the premium path P10 of the Frau-Holle-Land Geo-Naturpark and the GrimmSteig. You have a remarkable view from the castle ruins on the 522 m high Schlossberg.
A visit to the castle in April / May when the wild garlic is in bloom is particularly attractive.
May 6, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!