Mountain Biking Highlight
High above Bühl lies the ruins of the Windeck Castle. Around 1200, the Lords of Windeck, who were first mentioned in 1212, built Windeck Castle as a dwelling, defensive fortification and visible sign of their claim to power. A fresh wind blew around the inhabitants of the castle, and so they called their new home "Wind-Eck"; so at least the popular interpretation of the name. The castle probably consisted of a lower and an upper castle; each part comprised a tower and residential buildings. From the smaller keep, the valley side and the entrance gate were monitored. The two Palasbauten (residential buildings) are largely destroyed. The second, located in the upper castle tower is larger. Its lowest floor probably served as a dungeon or pantry. In case of war he was a defense tower and refuge for the inhabitants. On the 1st and 2nd floor of the adjoining palace building were presumably representative rooms, such as the Knight's Hall. The castle withstood all enemy attacks, but was hit by a fire in the 14th century that destroyed homes and stables. Reinhard von Windeck rebuilt the burnt down houses. His descendants left the castle at the end of the 16th century and henceforth resided in the so-called Schlosshof (now the Hotel "Badischer Hof") in Bühl. The great destruction of the castle is mainly due to human hands. Building material was in short supply in the last few centuries and so you carried the castle for the construction of other structures, such. B. the Kappelwindecker church, from.
Opening hours: The castle tower can be climbed from April to October from 9:00 am until dusk and during the winter months in good weather.Opening hours:March to October 9:00 am until dusk and in winter months in good weatherPrices:admission free
January 5, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.