Kirche am Jostberg

Mountain Biking Highlight

Recommended by 82 out of 92 mountain bikers

Tips

  • HardTail Zicklein

    Once at the top, you already have a few vertical meters behind you.
    You can drive in different directions.

    translated byView Original
    • May 10, 2019

  • teutotrail

    story
    The remains of the Jostberg monastery (view from the west)
    The foundations of the former monastery church
    In a document of the year 1483 Bishop Simon III. From Paderborn, two years earlier, believers on the Loyckhus mountains had begun to worship the sacred hermit Jodokus, the patron saint of pilgrims, in a house (domunculam). As a pilgrimage was made, the bishop allowed the construction of a chapel dedicated to Jodokus and St. Mary. By 1496 at the latest, the Bielefeld Franciscan Johannes Schrage and his brother Wessel asked Duke William of Jülich and Berg, Count of Ravensberg, to appoint Franciscans to supervise the local Jodokus cult with the help of a monastic settlement. After a rejection by the Order it came only in 1498 after the intervention of Pope Alexander VI. to found an observant monastery with takeover of the existing chapel.In 1501, the Franciscans from Rome received permission to rebuild the monastery elsewhere on the mountain. The new building was consecrated in 1502. However, the brothers complained about the wind in the winter and lack of water in the summer, as well as the remoteness that would severely hamper the pastoral care and begging. On June 10, 1507, Pope Julius II authorized the relocation of the monastery to the city of Bielefeld, where the Franciscans had been given land on Obernstrasse. The new monastery church of St. Jodokus and Francis was consecrated in 1511.
    Construction and facility
    The late Gothic monastery church is preserved in foundations at a height of up to one meter. The choir is 9.1 meters wide and 14 meters long. The church was single nave with three yokes and had a 5/8 choir closure and a total length of 24.4 meters inside measure.The ruins of the monastery church was unearthed in 1912 at the instigation of the city of Bielefeld and 1966 by the Roman Catholic parish of St. Jodokus. Since then, the building disintegrated; Souvenir hunters had repeatedly broken pieces. Only in 1993/94 was an archaeological excavation and documentation. The restoration and partial restoration of the church ruins was completed in 2009.

    translated byView Original
    • September 9, 2018

  • SilentMick

    Almost a "lost place". Nice historical detour.

    translated byView Original
    • January 20, 2019

  • 🚴 TeutoRadler

    After the zoo leave the Hermannsweg and head towards Jostberg. It is an impressive old plant

    translated byView Original
    • January 9, 2017

  • Thorsten

    Here you will find the remains of a church belonging to a Franciscan monastery. The former church was built around the year 1500. On an information board you can learn more about the system. A small stop can not hurt.

    translated byView Original
    • November 6, 2016

  • Antje

    Wild garlic blossom and monastery ruin in the evening sun in May. Climbing was worth it! :O)

    translated byView Original
    • May 9, 2018

  • Kolja

    Nice corner but also well animated for the Teuto.
    Habs only found by Komoot!

    translated byView Original
    • August 16, 2019

  • MrIdea

    Unfortunately, only the foundations can be seen. But historically :-)

    translated byView Original
    • August 5, 2017

  • MrIdea

    The remains of an old church in the forest. Historic site.

    translated byView Original
    • August 26, 2017

  • teutotrail

    story
    The remains of the Jostberg monastery (view from the west)
    The foundations of the former monastery church
    In a document of the year 1483 Bishop Simon III. From Paderborn, two years earlier, believers on the Loyckhus mountains had begun to worship the sacred hermit Jodokus, the patron saint of pilgrims, in a house (domunculam). As a pilgrimage was made, the bishop allowed the construction of a chapel dedicated to Jodokus and St. Mary. By 1496 at the latest, the Bielefeld Franciscan Johannes Schrage and his brother Wessel asked Duke William of Jülich and Berg, Count of Ravensberg, to appoint Franciscans to supervise the local Jodokus cult with the help of a monastic settlement. After a rejection by the Order it came only in 1498 after the intervention of Pope Alexander VI. to found an observant monastery with takeover of the existing chapel.In 1501, the Franciscans from Rome received permission to rebuild the monastery elsewhere on the mountain. The new building was consecrated in 1502. However, the brothers complained about the wind in the winter and lack of water in the summer, as well as the remoteness that would severely hamper the pastoral care and begging. On June 10, 1507, Pope Julius II authorized the relocation of the monastery to the city of Bielefeld, where the Franciscans had been given land on Obernstrasse. The new monastery church of St. Jodokus and Francis was consecrated in 1511.
    Construction and facility
    The late Gothic monastery church is preserved in foundations at a height of up to one meter. The choir is 9.1 meters wide and 14 meters long. The church was single nave with three yokes and had a 5/8 choir closure and a total length of 24.4 meters inside measure.The ruins of the monastery church was unearthed in 1912 at the instigation of the city of Bielefeld and 1966 by the Roman Catholic parish of St. Jodokus. Since then, the building disintegrated; Souvenir hunters had repeatedly broken pieces. Only in 1993/94 was an archaeological excavation and documentation. The restoration and partial restoration of the church ruins was completed in 2009.

    translated byView Original
    • September 9, 2018

In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!

Best Mountain Biking Routes to Kirche am Jostberg

Location: Detmold District, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Information

  • Elevation250 m

Most Visited During

  • Jan
  • Feb
  • Mar
  • Apr
  • May
  • Jun
  • Jul
  • Aug
  • Sep
  • Oct
  • Nov
  • Dec

Weather Forecast - Detmold District