Bike Touring Highlight
At the site of today's castle was originally a castle, which was first mentioned in 1202 and was then in the possession of the noble family of Ravensburg. The castle complex was devastated in the German Peasants' War in 1525 and taken by Margrave Albrecht Alkibiades in 1553 and burned down. In 1601 it was rebuilt by the Würzburg Prince Bishop Julius Echter of Mespelbrunn (1545-1617). In 1723, the system burned down again and was repaired in 1724 makeshift. Commissioned by Prince-Bishop Friedrich Karl von Schönborn, the present palace complex was built between 1733 and 1745 by Balthasar Neumann as a summer residence. It is considered his most mature profane work. It was attached to a large baroque park, which was later transformed into an English garden.
August 6, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!