The bronze cast of the Juno Ludovisi was built in the park section of Pillnitz in the 19th century. established. The original is a colossal marble woman's head dating back to the 1st century BC. It is now in the Museo Nazionale Romano in Rome.
The head of Juno Ludovisi, which was probably found in Rome, became part of the collection of Cardinal Ludovico Ludovisi in 1622, which also gave her her nickname. At the time, they identified her as the goddess Hera (Latin Juno). Especially in the 18th century, the marble head was a very popular object. Johann Joachim Winckelmann, Johann Wolfgang Goethe, Friedrich Schiller or Wilhelm von Humboldt saw the Juno Ludovisi as an embodiment of what was understood as Greek ideality. Wilhelm von Humboldt even wrote a sonnet inspired by Juno Ludovisi, which he was not the only one with. From the late 19th century, however, began to doubt the interpretation of the head as Juno. Today, Antonia Minor (36 BC - 37 AD), a member of the Julio-Claudian dynasty, is most often seen in it. She was the mother of Emperor Claudius and the niece of Augustus. It is believed that she represented herself as an idealized Hera. Coin pictures of the Antonia as well as a similar head found in the summer of 2003 support this assumption, which however is still controversial (Wikipedia). In the English park section, the plastic forms the conclusion of a multitude of visual axes, their monumentality thereby causing an almost hypnotic effect.
June 6, 2016
The two and a half story English Pavilion was built around 1780 as the ideal center of the English Garden, probably based on a design by J. D. Schade. The first designs, which were still strongly influenced by the formal idiom of the Saxon rococo architecture, were postponed in favor of the rotunda with a surrounding colonnade, a walkway above it and a crowning dome. Schade was closely based on Bramante's Tempietto in the courtyard of the church of S. Pietro in Montorio in Rome, an incunable of European Renaissance architecture from around 1500. Inside there are three oval rooms arranged one above the other, the stairs are hidden in the rear outer wall. The hall on the ground floor shines with its elegant gray-green stucco marble furnishings, while the room on the upper floor only has white wood paneling. The English pavilion probably served Friedrich August III. as a withdrawn (botanical) study cabinet or as a tea pavilion.
April 30, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!