Bike Touring Highlight
Werenwag goes back to a castle from the high Middle Ages. It was created around 1100  and belonged to the noble free von First.  The keep dates from the 12th century.
In the late Middle Ages, the lords of Werenwag were servants of the Hohenbergers and the Habsburgs. Hugo von Werenwag was a minstrel. In 1303 an Albrecht von Werenwag is documented.  Werenwag Castle was the center of power for the Werenwag rulership of the same name. In 1459, Marquard von Werenwag sold Burgstall and the village of Ensisheim to Renhard von Melchingen.  In 1629 the Counts of Fürstenberg received the castle, which they sold to the barons of Ulm zu Erbach in 1721. It was not until 1830 that Werenwag came back into the possession of the Prince of Fürstenberg. In 1891 the castle burned down, on November 16, 1911 the castle was damaged in an earthquake in the Albstadt shear zone: The tower and the attached staircase showed large cracks, and falling stone slabs of the tower battlements damaged the roof.
Werenwag Castle is the residence of Maximilian Egon zu Fürstenberg's (1896–1959) family branch. His daughter Maria Josepha zu Fürstenberg (1922–2008) was born on April 23, 1922 at the castle. His youngest son Friedrich Maximilian zu Fürstenberg (1926–1969) lived in Werenwag with his wife Teresa Princess zur Lippe-Weißenfeld (1925–2008). She lived here until her death on July 16, 2008. On May 14, 1989, Friedrich Maximilian's daughter Teresa Sophia Antoinette zu Fürstenberg (* 1960) married the Italian Angelo Giuseppe Bucarelli (* 1952) in the palace chapel. The castle is currently inhabited by son Maximilian Joachim zu Fürstenberg (* 1962), who is also the owner of the Villa Hammerschmiede in Thiergarten.
July 2, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.