The castle was built from 1368 by Count Eberhard V. von Katzenelnbogen to secure the north-eastern border of his area. The traditional completion date 1371 is considered improbable due to the construction time, which appears to be too short. The surrounding settlement must have existed in front of the castle, because in 1368 Emperor Charles IV also gave it city rights, which was connected with the permission to build fortifications and to organize a Tuesday weekly market. Nevertheless, the settlement did not develop into a city and was known as a “spot” until the 18th century.In 1536 the castle fell to the Nassau family. After an inheritance division, Count Wilhelm von Nassau-Weilburg received Burgschwalbach in 1594 as well as the administrative district administered from there. He made the castle his residence. His widow Erika used the castle as a widow's seat until 1628 and had the complex partially repaired. Until 1720, the building housed a Nassau-Weilburg office.In 1737 repairs would have been necessary. In view of the high costs, the administration of Nassau-Usingen, to which Burgschwalbach now belonged, decided to let the castle decay. Inventory, wooden components and the roof were therefore auctioned off and removed.In 1817 the master carpenter Georg Philipp Schnabel bought the gatehouse. His family opened a restaurant on the castle in 1858. A restaurant still exists there today.
April 25, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.