Road Cycling Highlight
Louisendorf, named after Queen Luise, was built in 1820 by order of the Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm III. as a branch settlement Kurpfälzischer emigrants. These had left their homeland in 1741 because of their Protestant beliefs and had stuck on the Dutch border on the trip to Pennsylvania (USA). Their settlement areas between Goch, Kleve and Kalkar - initially Pfalzdorf, then Louisendorf and finally Neulouisendorf - are still referred to today as "Palatine language island", although the dialect, the "Pälzersch", is less related to the Palatinate and more to Hunsrück.
January 26, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.