The chapel of the Mother of God in Veveří is also called the Chapel of the Mother of God, the Verdict, lies about 400 m southwest of Veveří Castle. It is probably from the 12th century, the first written mention dates back to 1240. A medieval village, which formed the castle of Veveří, was situated nearby. She disappeared during the Hussite wars.It is a two-sided sacral structure; originally the Romanesque chapel was later partially rebuilt in Gothic style. The Tower was demolished by the Swedes during the Thirty Years' War, and only a small turret with two bells has survived. The Southern Romanesque portal is completed on a Tympanon by a Greek cross with two lions and leads to a later Gothic ship. The entrance to the main Romanesque ship leads through the Gothic West entrance. On the shield on the eastern side of the church there is a distinct late Gothic relief of the human face. cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaple_Matky_Bo%C5%BE%C3%AD_na_Veve%C5%99%C3%AD
November 8, 2015
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!