"The Jewish cemetery in Sondershausen was established when the modern Jewish community in the city came into being at the end of the 17th century: in 1699 the site was bought for a Jewish burial site south of the city on Spatenberg. The then "Schutzjude" Alexander Cantor acquired the property. The oldest tombstones (from the early 18th century) are located on the area to the left of the entrance gate (around 25 rows of graves). In the area to the right of the gate are seven rows of recent tombstones from 1885 to 1939; the last burial was in 1939 (Selma Baruch). The older tombstones are mostly made from local shell limestone. "
April 7, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.