The hunting lodge Augustusburg was built from 1568 to 1572 on the Schellenberg 516 m above sea level by Elector August of Saxony about 16 km east of Chemnitz.
The altar of the castle chapel was painted by Lucas Cranach the Younger.
The well is 130,6 m the second deepest well of Saxony after the fortress Königstein.
November 19, 2015
Saxon hunting and pleasure palace Augustus the Strong, which nowadays houses a motorbike museum, a hunting and ornithological museum and a carriage museum. A youth hostel is also located in the old walls. Due to its proximity to Chemnitz, the castle is therefore also ideally suited as a central starting point for exploring the city and the Ore Mountains.
Tel.:+49 (0) 37291/38 00 | Fax: +49 (0) 37291/38 024
April-October 9: 30-18 clock | November-March 10-17 clock
(24.12., 31.12. To 14.00, 1.1.
March 11, 2016
The choice of the location where the Saxon Elector August had the castle built between 1568 and 1572 is special. On a 516 meter high cone made of quartz porphyry, the hunting and pleasure palace rises visibly above the Zschopau valley. Because of this imposing location, Augustusburg Castle is called the Crown of the Ore Mountains. And it also looks a bit like a crown: Four square corner houses and intermediate buildings mark the hilltop. Inside, they reveal the imposing inner courtyard of a renaissance castle.
October 29, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!