Bike Touring Highlight
Bad Schandau - spa town on the Elbe
Already in the 14th century. Bad Schandau was first mentioned as a Schiffersiedlung, Schandau was granted town charter in 1479. In mid-1730 a sulfur and iron spring was discovered here; with the first bathing establishment in 1799, the foundation stone was laid for the development of the place into a spa.
When the inhabitants inaugurated the Bad Schandau train station in 1877, it was the last to go into operation on the then new Dresden-Bodenbach line. Before that, the completion of the first Schandau Elbe bridge and the railway line to Sebnitz were celebrated.
In 1920 the city received the status of a bath and since 1936 there have been Kneipp cures here. Bad Schandau is still a popular spa town with several modern spa facilities today. The four districts of Krippen, Ostrau, Postelwitz and Schmilka belong to the city.
Bad Schandau is ideal as a central starting point for tours and hikes in the national park region and the Saxon Switzerland National Park, as well as for cross-border activities in the Elbe Sandstone Protected Landscape Area and the Bohemian Switzerland National Park.
July 14, 2020
Bad Schandau is located to the right of the Elbe directly at the Saxon Switzerland National Park in the Elbe Sandstone Mountains; the national park center is in the city. The original town center nestles against the steep sandstone cliffs of the right, northern bank of the Elbe and partially squeezes into the narrow valley of the Kirnitzsch. The town center is 121.7 m above sea level. HN (market), while the heights over 400 meters above sea level. HN lie. An overland tram, the Kirnitzschtalbahn, accompanies the river for several kilometers and opens up parts of Upper Saxon Switzerland.
May 23, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.