The tomb chapel was built as a burial place of the count's family in the years 1874/1875 by Count Friedrich von Ingelheim. Similar to the large Echter epitaph in the Hessenthal pilgrimage church, the crypt chapel also adorns a scene of the crucifixion with the Savior and Mary and John under the cross.
Unfortunately, we could only see the tomb from the outside. It seems to be closed more often.
For motorists and "Weniggeher" offers the parking lot from the hostel Mespelbrunn as a location. From here you can reach the tomb on the shortest path and then also run from there on a beautiful mountain trail to the moated castle Mespelbrunn.
April 15, 2018
Crypt chapel of the Counts of Ingelheim. Mespelbrunn Castle can be reached directly in 500 meters. Nice view of Mespelbrunn up to Hessenthäler heights. Unfortunately it is mostly closed. No toilets available.
The Adventure Golf Räuberland in Heimbuchenthal can be reached in 600 meters
May 27, 2020
High above the Elsava Valley, the St. Maria crypt chapel can be seen from afar. It was built in 1895 by Count Friedrich von Ingelheim. With a length of 15 m and a width of 9 m, the chapel is a scaled-down replica of a Romanesque, two-tower basilica. The church was last used in 1972 when Count Albrecht's father was buried in the crypt.
The coat of arms of those in Ingelheim and Echter von Mespelbrunn can be found above the portal of St. Maria.
October 26, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!