Bike Touring Highlight
The Imperial Castle Cochem is a castle in the Rhineland-Palatinate town of Cochem on the Moselle. It is their landmark and stands on a highly visible mountain cone 154 m above sea level. NHN (entrance) above the city. As a summit castle she belongs to the type of mountain castles.
The plant, which served as a customs castle in the Middle Ages, was probably built around 1100 or in the first half of the 12th century, according to the results of current castle research. After being destroyed in the 17th century, it was rebuilt by the Berlin merchant and later Secretary of Commerce Louis Fréderic Jacques Ravené in the years 1868-77, according to the taste of the castle romance. Burg Cochem is thus a good example of a building designed in neo-Gothic style during the time of historicism. According to the monument protection law of Rhineland-Palatinate, it is a protected cultural monument and registered in the state's monument list. In addition, the plant is a protected cultural property according to the Hague Convention and marked with the blue-white protection mark.
September 17, 2015
The Reichsburg Cochem was first mentioned in a document in 1130. 1151 it was by King Konrad III. occupied and declared a Reichsburg. In 1688 troops of the French King Louis XIV occupied the castle in the course of the Palatinate War of Succession and destroyed it in 1689. The castle complex remained in ruins for a long time before it was bought in 1868 by the Berlin merchant Louis Fréderic Jacques Ravené for 300 thalers and restored in neo-Gothic style was built. It has been owned by the city of Cochem since 1978.
September 22, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!