Around 1830 a small chapel was built in the village of Halbmeil and consecrated to St. Nepomuk. The events of World War II interrupted the coexistence of German and Czech residents in the border region. On the Bohemian side, the residents of the 9 houses at that time were evicted after 1945. In 1953 the residential buildings and the St. Nepomuk Chapel were demolished and a border strip with watchtowers was built for a few years. Today there are still 4 residential buildings on the Saxon side.
In 2013, the 60th anniversary of the destruction of the chapel, the idea of building a new chapel on the existing foundation walls of the old chapel came up. Construction began on September 27, 2013 at an altitude of 934 m and the new chapel was completed on October 31, 2013.
On May 17, 2014, the chapel was inaugurated by a German and a Czech priest.
September 7, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!