Bike Touring Highlight
The former Heilbronn-Sontheim train station is located at Bottwarbahnstraße 4 in Sontheim and is a cultural monument. The building is used today (as of 2008) by a private music school and an engineering office.
In 1900, the Royal Württemberg State Railways first built the service and residential building for the continuation of the Bottwartalbahn from Beilstein to Heilbronn, followed in 1913 by a waiting room and goods shed. The station had several names: until 1904 it was called Sontheim, until 1912 Sontheim am Neckar and then Sontheim (Neckar) until the municipality of Sontheim was incorporated into Heilbronn in 1938. It was then called Heilbronn-Sontheim until the end of operations.
The service and residential building as well as the adjoining waiting room correspond to the Württemberg standard type IIIa station, as it was built on many branch lines nationwide at the end of the 19th century. There were identical buildings along the Bottwartalbahn in Beilstein and Großbottwar. The country-style buildings are shingled and boarded half-timbered structures with carved beam heads and projections.The attached goods shed had a size of 30 × 6-7 m, the adjoining loading ramp had an area of 250 m². There was a small gantry crane, a track scale and a loading gauge for checking the clearance profile. The station was primarily designed for freight traffic.
September 15, 2022
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!