In 1420, Duke Friedrich IV. Had the empty bag from two older town houses on the town square the "Neuhof" as the seat of the Tyrolean prince. In 1500, Emperor Maximilian I commissioned the construction of the Golden Roof.
Above the substructure rises the Wohnsöller with the eight-part crest frieze, the Gothic rectangular window, and the frescoes. These frescoes represent two standard bearer armor: on the left with the yellow flag and the black eagle for the German Reich, on the right with the white flag and the red eagle for Tyrol. Above the two middle windows, an inscription indicates the year 1500, the year of completion.
The master builder was Niklas Türing, the paintings are by Jörg Kölderer from Inzing.
July 22, 2018
Innsbruck's most famous landmark shines in the heart of the old town. 2,657 fire-gilded copper shingles give the Prunkerker its name. For over 500 years, the building has enthroned between medieval houses and shady arcades. Its builder Emperor Maximilian enjoyed the view: He watched the hustle and bustle in his city, watched knight tournaments and was paid homage.
Visitors can already see the shimmering Golden Roof on entering the old town. However, it is also worth a look up close, because its substructure is richly decorated. All sorts of figures and representations decorate the building. Including many curiosities.
June 1, 2019
The Old Town Hall (reddish building) was built in 1358, but underwent several redesigns, such as in 1691 by Johann Martin Gumpp d. Ä. after earthquake and fire damage. In 1897, the Old Town Hall lost its importance, as mayors and city council moved to the New Town Hall (now part of the Town Hall Galleries) in the Maria-Theresien-Straße. Today, the vice-mayor and some offices are housed here. Particularly noteworthy is the beautiful Bürgersaal with portraits of various mayors of Innsbruck on the 2nd floor. From the city tower you can see the typical trough roof of the Inn-Salzach-houses.
On the town hall facade a stone relief is attached: An angel holds the coat of arms, flanked by a pair of citizens in the costume of the 16th century, including the years 1239 and 1939 (memory of the confirmation of the city law of 1239 in 1939).
On the first floor is the stone figure of the burial giant Niklas Haidl, a contemporary of Archduke Sigmund the Coin Rich. Actually, the figure belongs in a niche of the Burgriesenhaus in the Hofgasse.
The city tower was built in 1450, but originally had another tower end. Around 1560 was the present renaissance form of the tower helmet. Upstairs was the dweller's home, which had two main tasks: looking out for enemies and watching the old town for fire hazards and keeping sleep.
July 22, 2018
Great building with history....
The history of this building goes back to Innsbruck's very beginnings and the remains of a Romanesque wall have been found on the ground floor. The two medieval houses became one at the end of the 17th century, and this house belonged to the Bederlunger family from the beginning of the 19th century until 1931.
March 25, 2019
The roof of the golden roof, or rather the shingles, are so sought after that it is reported that the theft is being repeatedly renovated. During the work, a scaffold stands on the building and thieves come to the roof to the shingles. That entices. Almost every renovation has a "resourceful" thief who takes the opportunity. The joy was in the past but only for a short time.
After the material value of the shingles is low (there is very little gold attached to the shingles), the stolen pieces repeatedly appeared in public places in the old town or in neighboring Schwaz.
July 5, 2019
This bourgeois house directly on the town square opposite the Golden Roof is named after a former owner named Helbling or Hölbling. Here once the main road led past.
The pointed arches in the arbours, the light shaft, the grave roof and the bay shape point to a gothic town house. Today, however, especially the late baroque stucco façade (around 1730) with its lush bouquets and flowers, fruit bundles, shells and putti (little angels) stands out.
The stucco is heavy and symmetrical, indicating the late Baroque.
The movement at the gable, the oval window, called ox-eye, the vibration, the overabundance of ornament, all this is typical of the baroque. Like many other old town houses, the Helblinghaus is adorned with a copy of the famous Mariahilf picture, the original of which is in the cathedral of Innsbruck.
July 22, 2018
The history of the Bederlungerhaus dates back to the earliest days of the city. Soon after the founding of the city south of the Inn Bridge, the first predecessor buildings of the present house were built. On the ground floor Romanesque wall remains could be detected. The present building was created by merging several medieval plots. The designation as "Bederlungerhaus" goes back to the family Bederlunger, which held the house from the beginning of the 19th century until 1931. In 2007, the house was restored with public support.
July 23, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.