Bike Touring Highlight
The New Town Hall is since 1905 the seat of the Leipzig city administration. It stands within the Leipzig inner city ring at its southwestern corner opposite the present Federal Administrative Court on Martin-Luther-Ring.The new town hall is built in the style of historicism. Together with the townhouse, it is one of the largest town hall buildings in the world with a floor area of approx. 10,000 m² and almost 600 rooms and is the largest town hall building in the German Reich and still today in Germany. The town hall tower, built on the foundations of the tower of the Pleissenburg, is the highest in Germany with a height of 114.7 meters. On the southwest facade are the five statues "craft", "justice", "book art", "science" and "music" by the artist Arthur Trebst, Johannes Hartmann, Adolf Lehnert, Josef Mágr and Hans Zeissig. The clock of the town hall, illuminated in blue at night, contains the Latin inscription MORS CERTA, HORA INCERTA (Death is certain, the hour uncertain), popularly "The clock is foolproof". The female pediment above the clock symbolizes the truth. The west gable in turn has the personification "Das Amtsgeheimnis" by Johannes Hartmann on the subject.In the basement vaults is the Ratskeller Leipzig, a restaurant that emerged from the former historic wine cellar. There is also a public canteen.Further information under de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neues_Rathaus_(Leipzig)
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!