Bike Touring Highlight
The Glienicke Bridge was built in 1907 as a connection between Berlin and Potsdam. The building has been part of the UNESCO World Heritage since 1990 with the surrounding castles and parks. The Glienicke Bridge formed since 1945 the border between East and West and was passable since 1953 only for Allies. At the border crossing point in 1962, 1985 and 1986 international agents were exchanged. For the German population it was opened only one day after the fall of the wall in Berlin.
Right on the bike path.
Bridge and garden are freely accessible; Opening times of the castle are from May to October from Saturday to Sunday and on public holidays from 10 to 17 o'clock.
The Glienicke Bridge gained worldwide fame through the spectacularly staged third and last agent exchange on February 11, 1986.
The first exchange took place on 10 February 1962. It was Colonel Rudolf Ivanovich Abel, top spy of the Soviets in the US, against Francis Gary Powers, an American pilot who had been shot down in a reconnaissance flight with the U-2 over the Soviet Union ,
In the extreme southwest of Berlin is the Glienicker bridge. It was built in 1907 and was for a long time a legendary scene of the Cold War.
The Glienicke Bridge formed since 1945 the border between East and West and was passable since 1953 only for Allies. It was opened to the German population only one day after the fall of the wall in Berlin on 10 November 1989. Where Berlin (the then West Berlin) and the Brandenburg capital Potsdam (then located in the GDR) meet, the US exchanged views and the Soviet Union during the Cold War spies. In just a few days, the Glienicke Bridge once moved into the center of world events: at the border crossing point in 1962, 1985 and 1986, international agents were exchanged for each other at the border crossing point. Today, the bridge is an unspectacular connection to Potsdam, but offers a beautiful view over the magical Havel landscape. The building has been part of the Unesco World Heritage since 1990, with surrounding castles and parks.
The Glienicker Bridge connects the cities of Berlin (district Wannsee of the district Steglitz-Zehlendorf) and Potsdam, district Berlin suburb. It owes its name to the nearby former estate Klein Glienicke, in its place today the castle Glienicke. The Glienicke Bridge gained worldwide fame through the spectacularly staged third and last agent exchange on February 11, 1986.
There is an interesting book by former border guard Hans-Dieter Behrendt about this border crossing point. I found the book very interesting and factually written.
"Hello, passport control of the GDR": On the activities of the control and security organs at the German-German border between 1945 and 1990
Paperback: 340 pages
Publisher: GNN Schkeuditz; Edition: 1st, (22nd February 2008)
ISBN 10: 3898192431
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!