Bike Touring Highlight
The Glienicke Bridge over the Havel between Berlin and Potsdam connects the Königstraße (Berlin-Wannsee) with the Berliner Straße in the Berlin suburb of Potsdam. The road bridge owes its name to the nearby former Gut Klein Glienicke manor, which now houses the Glienicke Palace. The half-timbered bridge was opened at the end of 1907 as the fourth structure under the name Kaiser-Wilhelm-Brücke, but it did not prevail.The state border between Brandenburg and Berlin and the city border to Potsdam run across the middle of the bridge. During the time of the division of Germany, the Glienicke Bridge gained worldwide fame through the spectacular third and last agent exchange, staged on February 11, 1986.
July 15, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!