The initiative to build the hut goes back to a meeting of the Karersee-Welschnofen section of the German and Austrian Alpine Association. The first efforts to acquire a plot of land from the municipality of Vigo date back to 1899. In the spring of 1906 the groundbreaking took place and in August of the same year the hut was opened with a capacity of 20 overnight accommodations. In addition to the local tourism pioneer Theodor Christomannos, the sponsors included the German industrialist Karl von Ostertag-Siegle, after which the hut was finally named.
In 1921 the hut was entrusted by the Italian military to the Società degli Alpinisti Tridentini (SAT), the largest sub-organization of the CAI, which gave it the Italian name Rifugio Roda di Vaèl. From 1983 a new construction took place, during which, among other things, the capacity of the refuge was expanded. The new building was inaugurated in 1986. A last renovation took place between 2007 and 2008. Source: Wikipedia
September 2, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!