Bike Touring Highlight
At the time of commissioning, 54 bridges led over the canal, nine of which have remained in their original condition, at least visually. They were mostly built as brick arch bridges, but there are also pure stone bridges. From the lock 22 uphill, the span of the transitions was increased by almost one meter (see sketch 14) and provided with two stairways. With the raising of the water level by one foot in the years after 1820 and the widening of the locks also by one foot, the stairways had to be raised accordingly and the passages widened, which led to the omission of the second stairway on the southern bridges. Since the structures were only designed for the load with horse-drawn vehicles, they were replaced by more robust structures made of other building materials in the course of the motorization. The old bridge constructions were therefore only preserved in the field path area. When these structures were transferred to the responsibility of the respective municipalities in the 1980s, they were partially removed for safety reasons or, while preserving the monumental character, by pulling in a reinforced concrete slab at great expense to meet current traffic requirements. The names of the bridges are inconsistent
September 22, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!