Bike Touring Highlight
Around the year 1237 the megalithic tower (megalith = large stone) in Richensee is built by the Counts of Kyburg, and the town is founded. The tower used to have a wooden structure that towered over the tower. The tower is the official residence of the bailiff, the center of power, status symbol and fortification. The base area is approx. 11.5 m to 11.5 m. The average wall thickness at ground level is about 3.5 m. In the tower there was an apartment which could be reached via a high entrance to 9,2 m height. To the high entrance led a stone staircase, which could be removed in case of war. The now ground level in the tower leading passage dates from the 19th century, when there was a nail forge.
In the 1920s, the tower was restored by the canton. In 2013, comprehensive remedial measures were begun that aimed at stabilizing the masonry.
August 31, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!