The mill Charlotte is the architectural symbol of the Geltinger Birk and welcomes hikers and tourists at the entrance of the nature reserve from Geltinger Noor.The Erdhollander mill, built to drain the Noores and to grind the grain, was built in 1826 by Captain von Hobe from Gut Gelting. Their task was to pump together with another mill, the groundwater from the fields behind it into the Baltic Sea.The mill was named after Oberstallmeister Charlotte von Plessen, a born Duchess of Mecklenburg, who died in 1822 at Schloss Gelting.Today, the mill is privately owned and has been converted into a comfortable holiday home.
January 25, 2017
The Geltinger Birk was built in 1821 by diking of the Great Noore, a side bay of the Baltic Sea. To pump surface water from the drained lowlands of the Birk, the former Geltinger Captain von Hobe had the mill built on the so-called Goldhöftberg in 1826 at the dam leading from Goldhöft to Birk. The construction costs for the combined scoop and grain mill amounted to about 9700 Reichstaler.
From then on, the structure mainly served to drain the Birk. The necessary transport of water from the lowland areas to higher lows was realized with one screw. When there was no wind, an electric motor drove the water screw. In the Birk at that time there were about 333 hectares of agricultural land.
August 17, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!