Bike Touring Highlight
The predecessor of the parish church is an early Holy Cross chapel built on the same spot, which is part of the mother church, “St. Lambertus ", located about 2 km north of Saarburg.
The chapel is called St. Laurentius Church as early as 1368. It gradually gained the importance of a parish church. The beginning of this development was the granting of baptism rights by Archbishop Kuno von Falkenstein in 1370. The reason for this was the great distance to the mother church as well as the strong growth of the citizenship of Saarburg since the city charter was granted (1291). In 1426 the citizenry donated the early mass and thus received a clergyman for Saarburg.
In 1563 a second tower was added on the south side of the west tower.
In 1658 the church, which was expanded to two wings and three naves, was consecrated by Auxiliary Bishop Verhorst.
The crypt of Baron von Marsberg was located under the high altar.
In 1803 Saarburg became a canton parish and the St. Laurentius Church was given independence as a parish church.
In 1854/55 a neo-Gothic building was built in a north-south direction, in which only the old two-helm tower was included; in addition, King Friedrich Wilhelm IV donated the choir windows.
On December 23, 1944, half of the church was also destroyed in a bomb attack on the Saar Bridge. The wooden beam ceiling and the cylindrical columns are reminiscent of the reconstruction between 1946 and 1949.
Three bells from 1773 and one from 1962 were cast in the Saarburg bell foundry. The grape Madonna (15th century), the altarpiece "Descent from the Cross" (1790, by Louis Counet) and the Marsberg epitaphs come from the old church the baptismal font in the baptistery was created by the artist Eugen Keller from Höhr-Grenzhausen.
May 17, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.