Road Cycling Highlight
The Mühlheim Mainstate consists of a lock (1980), weir (1988) and also has a hydroelectric power station (1989). The height of fall - that is, the difference between upper and lower water - is exactly 3.77 meters in Mühlheim; the lock chamber is 300 meters long and 12 meters wide, the boat lock has a size of 20 by four meters. After the First World War, a first barrage and a power station were built in Mühlheim, also called "Church in the Main" because of its distinctive architecture. In 1965, the dam was renewed and put into operation in 1980. The old Rechtmainische power plant was demolished in 1989 and replaced by a modern facility.The extension of the main section between Offenbach and Großkrotzenburg was started in the mid-seventies. In this section, for example, the work on the straightening of the Main in the amount of the old town of Hanau district Steinheim. In addition, the old barrages Mainkur and Kesselstadt were replaced by the new barrage Mühlheim, which was put into operation on January 22, 1980. Since then, the former lock system Mainkur serves as a marina.However, the channeling of the Main began as early as the end of the 19th century - more precisely, in October 1883. Three years later, waterworkers completed Frankfurt's Westhafen. While the main shipping before 1886 had transported only about 18 000 tons annually, it was already thanks to the channeling at the beginning of the 20th century already more than two million tons. 🚴♂️op-online.de/region/muehlheim/stop-untermain-433254.html
May 3, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!