Discover

Falkenburg

Falkenburg

Hiking Highlight

Created by komoot users
Recommended by 677 out of 684 hikers

Tips

  • Herr G

    The Falkenburg is a ruin on a strategically favorable hilltop above the "Gauseköte" called Osing Pass. It was built from 1194. In 1453 a fire severely damaged the castle and the complex lost its importance as the moated castle in Detmold from 1528 to the residence of the Lippe counts The castle was then used as a quarry and the ruins can only be visited on pre-booked tours.

    translated byView Original
    • July 17, 2016

  • 🚴‍♂️ Teuto Radler Stukenbrock 🚴‍♂️

    The Falkenburg is under reconstruction. Currently a ruin, as the population used to use the stones of the Falkenburg for their homes.

    translated byView Original
    • January 11, 2017

  • Gennadi

    I was upstairs last week. Fence was open.

    translated byView Original
    • May 16, 2016

  • Andreas Seifert

    An interesting detour when hiking in the Teutoburg Forest. Great, big ruin with well-explained signs:

    The ruin Falkenburg is located in the southeast part of the Teutoburg Forest (called Lippe Forest) in the Teutoburg Forest / Eggegebirge Nature Park about one kilometer south-southeast of Johannaberg, a southern location of the southern district of Detmold Berlebeck. It is located about 1.7 km as the crow flies north-northeast of the Gauseköte on a 372.6 m above sea level. NHN [1] high neighboring group of the 700 meters (m) northeast lying Stembergs (401.9 m), which are connected via a 337 m high mountain saddle with a Waldwegabzweig to 339.6 m altitude. About 5.5 km southeast of the ruin lies in the Silberbachtal the seam line to the south facing Eggegebirge.

    translated byView Original
    • May 6, 2017

  • Daniel

    I was there in July, there was still a fence in front of the castle and enter without a guide was prohibited, is it now freely walkable again?

    translated byView Original
    • August 8, 2015

  • Sebastian

    Beautiful nature, great forest with well-developed paths. The Falkenburg itself is still under renovation, but it is a great ruin ... Great for kids to romp and wonder ...

    translated byView Original
    • February 10, 2017

  • AndyPB

    Homepage with information about the castle and guided tours: falkenburg-lippe.de

    translated byView Original
    • October 20, 2017

  • Simone

    Has been accessible since last year

    translated byView Original
    • May 8, 2016

  • Jesswell

    Great ruin, from here you can look up to Hermannsdenkmal with a good view and generally has a panoramic view. Invites you to linger.

    translated byView Original
    • November 12, 2019

  • Jesswell

    Great view all around. With good visibility up to the Hermann Monument.

    translated byView Original
    • January 15, 2020

  • Sheep Shelter

    Open again and beautifully restored - finally without latent bad conscience, because you squeezed yourself through the fence 😁, explore all the walls. Anyone who knows the Falkenburg from the old days before the restoration, when just a half-meter tower towered out of the ground, would probably never have guessed how far the walls under the hill spread. Compliments to all involved in the work of recent years!
    @ all visitors: Please stick to the few rules of manners and do not step on the walls - there are enough paths in between, you can get that everywhere 🙂

    translated byView Original
    • October 13, 2019

  • Jojo

    A beautiful ruin where you can play and hide a lot. We spent a great break here during a hike.

    translated byView Original
    • November 19, 2019

  • Andreas Seifert

    The construction of the Falkenburg, of which only a ruin can be seen today, was initiated between 1190 and 1194 by Bernhard II and his son Hermann II, noblemen of the Lippe.In 1405 the property went to Count Simon III. to the lip. On the occasion of the Eversteiner feud (1403-1407), Duke Heinrich I of Braunschweig was imprisoned in the castle for a long time. In the middle of the 15th century, a fire destroyed the already large complex, which consisted of a main castle, an outer bailey and a kennel. Under Princess Pauline zur Lippe, parts of the castle were used to expand the Gauseköte, and the residents of Berlebeck also used many of the stones from the castle to build the foundations of their houses. Today the ruin is owned by Stephan Prinz zur Lippe, a direct descendant of the builders. At the end of 2004, on a private initiative, the Förderverein Die Falkenburg e. V. to maintain and renovate the castle, archaeological excavations have been taking place on the ruins since 2005. In 2016 Stephan zur Lippe was awarded the German Prize for Monument Protection (Silver Hemisphere) by the German National Committee for Monument Protection for his commitment to the building and ground monument.

    translated byView Original
    • September 9, 2020

  • Heylander

    From there you can quickly make a detour to the Externsteinen.
    With the feet 1 hour or bike 30 min.

    translated byView Original
    • January 10, 2016

  • buskultur

    Today (20.09.2015) unfortunately still locked

    translated byView Original
    • September 20, 2015

  • Mandelkern

    The castle ruin has been spruced up for many years to an "unusual" tourist destination. The renovation should be completed this year. Today's lord of the castle - Stephan Prinz zur Lippe - is thinking. A venue is to be created and it is not yet clear whether there will be an open castle access around the clock, or in the evening the system should be closed by a gate. I'm curious.

    translated byView Original
    • January 27, 2018

  • Sebastian

    The ruin invites you to discover and linger ... It would like to return to the time when everything was in tact ...

    translated byView Original
    • February 10, 2017

  • Andreas Seifert

    An interesting detour when hiking in the Teutoburg Forest. Great, big ruin with well-explained signs:
    The ruin Falkenburg is located in the southeast part of the Teutoburg Forest (called Lippe Forest) in the Teutoburg Forest / Eggegebirge Nature Park about one kilometer south-southeast of Johannaberg, a southern location of the southern district of Detmold Berlebeck. It is located about 1.7 km as the crow flies north-northeast of the Gauseköte on a 372.6 m above sea level. NHN [1] high neighboring group of the 700 meters (m) northeast lying Stembergs (401.9 m), which are connected via a 337 m high mountain saddle with a Waldwegabzweig to 339.6 m altitude. About 5.5 km southeast of the ruin lies in the Silberbachtal the seam line to the south facing Eggegebirge.

    translated byView Original
    • June 30, 2017

  • MrIdea

    After a long construction / restoration phase, the castle is now accessible (Booth Spe.2018)

    translated byView Original
    • September 9, 2018

  • Jesswell

    Once at the top, you can enjoy a very nice wide view. Also the Hermannsdenkmal you can see from here. A shady spot is always found.

    translated byView Original
    • August 25, 2019

  • Andreas Seifert

    Well restored castle ruins. The former mountain castle was built from about 1190 and abandoned in the first half of the 16th century. The construction of the Falkenburg, of which today only a ruin can be seen, was arranged between 1190 and 1194 by Bernhard II and his son Hermann II, noblemen of the Lippe. In 2012, a tiny piece of jewelry, a kind of brooch, was found. The archaeologists and historians suspect that can be demonstrated by this find that "Hermann II. Lippe around the year 1200 was about to become king of" Livonia "(now Estonia and Latvia), where his father - Bernhard II. - Bishop was.

    translated byView Original
    • September 22, 2019

  • Alexander Märtin

    A worthwhile goal. Many nice hiking possibilities. But it is by no means recommended to walk parts of the hike along Paderborber Straße. There are no roads, and the cars just drive way too fast. At the moment not - because of the blocking of the Gauseköte, but basically already.

    translated byView Original
    • October 24, 2019

  • Andreas Seifert

    Well restored castle ruins. The former mountain castle was built from about 1190 and abandoned in the first half of the 16th century. The construction of the Falkenburg, of which today only a ruin can be seen, was arranged between 1190 and 1194 by Bernhard II and his son Hermann II, noblemen of the Lippe. In 2012, a tiny piece of jewelry, a kind of brooch, was found. The archaeologists and historians suspect that can be demonstrated by this find that "Hermann II. Lippe around the year 1200 was about to become king of" Livonia "(now Estonia and Latvia), where his father - Bernhard II. - Bishop was.

    translated byView Original
    • September 22, 2019

  • Uwe 12

    A rather large ruin of a surely sublime castle at that time. Great break place with great views.

    translated byView Original
    • June 21, 2020


In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!

Best Hikes to Falkenburg

Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.

Location: Detmold, Lippe, Detmold District, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Information

  • Elevation360 m

Contact

Good to know

  • Family Friendly
    Yes
  • Wheelchair access
    No

Most Visited During

  • Jan
  • Feb
  • Mar
  • Apr
  • May
  • Jun
  • Jul
  • Aug
  • Sep
  • Oct
  • Nov
  • Dec

Weather Forecast - Detmold

Discover

Falkenburg