Road Cycling Highlight
The Biblis Town Hall tradition dates back to the year 1592, from which a town hall is mentioned, but unfortunately no documents can be found. Only from the year 1784 is again something about the city hall, which stood on the site of the "old" town hall reports. In 1785, the Oberamt Starkenburg reported to the LR in Mainz that the town hall in Biblis was in disrepair and a repair was required. 1832 - under Hesse-Darmstadt government - movement came into the project. For a planned new city hall building, the community acquired the building site on the eastern side of the Darmstädter Straße to the Enggasse. In 1834, the foundation stone was laid for the town hall and built according to the plans of the master builder Moller from Darmstadt. The EC had a large room, a guardhouse, the prison and a toilet. On the first floor, there was the assembly hall, the tower room, the council room and the apartment of the village schoolmaster with two rooms. The natural building blocks came by ship from Neckarsteinach to the so-called Wormser Fahrt and were transported from there by wagons to the construction site. The bricks were delivered from Gernsheim. In 1838, the wooden belfry was set up, which received the small bell, which was called together on various occasions. In the community Bürgerrathaus are still some administrative offices to find.The large community Biblis in the south Hessian Ried was earlier for his
Cucumber cultivation known. To remember this time is a bronze figure
in front of the old town hall. The cucumber woman, with child and a basket full of cucumbers. 🚴♂️biblis.eu/gv_biblis/Leben%20in%20Biblis/Ortsgeschichte/Biblis/Rathaus%20Biblis
May 1, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!