On April 23, 1866, the history of the church began with the laying of the foundation stone. Seven months later, on November 13th, the east wing of the monastery was completed. The shell of the church was completed in 1870/71, a year later, the completion of the north wing and - on October 4, 1872 - the inauguration of the monastery church by Auxiliary Bishop Johannes Bosmann. In the years to 1874, finally, the work on the west and south wings of the complex were completed. Since July 1, 1980, the upper rooms of the east and south wings house the offices of the Central Commissariat. Photos from the beginning of the 20th century give an idea of how rural the region beyond the Rindersche dike was at that time - where the Spyckstraße runs today and the industrial area gained space in the direction of the Rhine was at that time only vast, flat land.(Https://kleveblog.de/spyckkloesterchen-die-letzte-regulaere-messe-ist-gelesen)
March 16, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!