Bike Touring Highlight
Not far from the geographical center of Hamburg is the Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Gertrude on the idyllic Kuhmühlenteich. The building in Brick Gothic has one of the most beautiful steeples in the Hanseatic city.
The explosive population growth of the Hanseatic city in the second half of the 19th century made it necessary to rebuild churches outside the city center. When the laying of the cornerstone for the St. Gertrude Church took place in 1882, the architect Johannes Otzen did not suspect what organizational difficulties he was facing.
For the construction actually more than 460 different types of bricks were used. Nevertheless, in 1885, after just three years of construction, the handsome, neo-Gothic hall church was completed, with the pastorate to the left and right. Due to its free location on the north bank of the Kuhmühlenteich and its attractive appearance, St. Gertrud soon became a landmark of Hohenfelde and Uhlenhorst and the community recorded an immense influx.
Striking in St. Gertrude is the slender church tower, because it is a special feature: Up to the top it consists of masonry. Thousands of stones, all differently glazed bricks, are combined in an artistic pattern and form a 88 -meter-high tower, crowned by a five-meter-high cross. The numerous decorative elements - cornices, gables, capitals, gargoyles - were made of sandstone.
Source and more information:
March 3, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!