Bike Touring Highlight
The castle was first mentioned on June 28, 1380, in a statement in which two men pledged to exempt Didderic van Oest for a debt. If they did not keep their promise, they volunteered to go to Hellenrade's house in so-called performance (a sort of bail).
In the 15th century Hillenraad consisted only of the middle section.
In 1572, William of Orange was based at Hillenraad, from which he led the siege of Roermond. Arnold Schenck van Nijdeggen was then lord of the castle.
The fame Swalmen is united in 1695 with the fame Asselt and raised to the foreshore.
The castle was enlarged in the 17th and 18th centuries and the four corner towers were built.
The current inhabitant is T. de Guerre, grandson of Count Herman Jozef Wolff Metternich.
September 18, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.