Built around 1443 and consecrated in June 1444, the Water Tower is located on the northeastern edge of the former historic city center. At the time, this massive round tower served to protect the water gate, one of the seven former city gates of Halberstadt. Clearly preserved fragments of the battlements can still be seen on the city side of the building.
Apart from the water tower, there are no visible remnants left from the lavishly secured entrances to the late medieval city. All city gates were demolished in the course of the 19th century, as they stood in the way of the expansion of urban space.
Only the water tower does not seem to have disturbed. In the 1990s, an extensive renovation of the historic weir structure was completed. Behind the tower extends in our days a small park.
October 14, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.