Bike Touring Highlight
Wienhausen is widely known for its magnificent monastery. But those who come to the monastery on the driveway via the Mühlenkanal should also take a look at the two mill buildings there. A mill is already mentioned in Vienna in 1351. Until the Reformation she belonged to the monastery Wienhausen, then she came to the Landesherschaft. However, the current mill building on the right bank of the Mühlenkanal dates from 1591. It is a single-storey half-timbered building with a variety of decorative forms. End of the 18th century On the opposite bank, a new multi-storey mill building was built. The old mill was rescued in 1837 from restoration by a restoration and henceforth served as a sawmill, warehouse and living room. Since 1906 the Wienhäuser flour mill with turbine drive worked. But also the old mill received a turbine in 1908: A power station was set up in the old building, which served until 1956 the place. Since the end of the 1960s, it serves as a town hall. In 1962, the flour mill ceased operations. In the 1980s, the building was renovated and has since served as a home, studio and workshop, while a turbine generates electricity.Source: niedersaechsische-muehlenstrasse.de/index.php?id=102
August 20, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!