The harbor market tower in the Sülmer street (pedestrian zone) goes back to the tower of a presumably built in 1290 St. Mary's Church of the proven since 1272 in Heilbronn Franciscan monastery on the harbor market. The convent was repealed in 1544, whereupon the monastery building to school (Latin school, then Karlsgymnasium, today Theodor Heuss -Gymnasium) umwidmete and the monastery church to the Protestant church. These destroyed the French in 1688 in the Palatinate War of Succession. The tower was rebuilt until 1727 Baurat Johann Philipp Meyer, for the reconstruction of the entire church could not be procured the necessary funds. Around 1800, the harbor market tower then served as a shotgun factory. In its pedestal area was established 1926-1936, a memorial to the dead of the First World War. As part of the reconstruction after the Second World War, a bird Phoenix (designed by Heinrich Röhm 1951) was mounted on the spire in the base area with the memorial for the dead of the First World War from the 1920s was created in 1963 a passage. There are other monuments and sculptures around the tower. In the summer of 2011, the spire will be renovated and the carillon repaired again.
August 3, 2018
The harbor market tower is reminiscent of the former Franciscan monastery. The Gothic Franciscan church was consecrated in 1314 and burnt down in 1688 by the retreating French troops. From the donations of the citizens 1698-1727 only the tower was rebuilt. The port market tower takes its name from the pottery market, which was held at the foot of the tower from the Middle Ages to the Second World War. You have to know that in the Swabian "harbor" means pot.
September 14, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!