The new gate was built in the east of the weir at the end of the 15th century. It is the youngest of the four city gates of Neubrandenburg. Only the main gate remains from him. In the gable niches on the city side there are eight life-sized terracotta figures, the meaning of which is unknown.
March 16, 2020
Neubrandenburg is nicknamed the "four-gate city" because, in addition to the entire city wall, all of the medieval city gates, each with a main gate and outer gate, have been preserved. Here the New Gate, built in the second half of the 15th century in the North German brick Gothic style.
The New Gate was built as an addition to the three city gates that had existed up until then. Immediately after completion in 1631, the upstream Zingel building was destroyed during the siege of Tilly. A bailey on the city side was demolished in 1852 due to dilapidation.architektur-bildarchiv.de/image/Neues-Tor-Neubrandenburg-35162.html
May 5, 2022
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!