The Malcesine fortress dates back to the last centuries of the first millennium BC. AD, although there are some documents that state that this castle sometime in the half of the first millennium AD. was built by the Lombards.
The castle was destroyed by the Franks in AD 590 and then rebuilt. In 806 King Pepin, who came to Malcesine to visit Saints Benigno and Caro, resided here, and after the Hungarian invasion it was part of the episcopal feud of Verona.
From 1277 to 1387 it was under the control of Alberto della Scala's and his family.
During this period, the Scaligans renovated the fortress, which from then on was called the "Scaliger Castle" and was occupied by the Visconti family from 1387 to 1403.
Two years later, it was placed under the rule of the Republic of Venice and remained under this control until 1506. When the castle was conquered by the empire, the castle changed rulers a few times: from 1516 to 1897 it belonged again to the Republic of Venice, then to the French, followed by the Austrians, who initiated significant reinforcement work within the building and here from 1798 to 1866 remained. From that year on it became Venetian property.
On August 22, 1902, the castle was declared a national monument.
July 15, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.