Mountain Biking Highlight
The beginnings of Volkmarode go back to the court of the Saxon aristocratic family of Volkmarode. For the first time in 1154 a "Fridericus de Volkmeroth" is mentioned in the wake of Henry the Lion. In 1302, the apparently dilapidated headquarters passed into the possession of the Aegidienklosters, until in 1413 the Office Campen took over the manorial rule in Volkmarode. From 1512 to 1706 the place belonged to the principality of Brunswick-Lüneburg. The theologian dr. Gottschalk Kruse, first representative of the Lutheran doctrine in Braunschweig, sought protection against reprisals in Volkmarode in 1522/23. In 1626 the village and its church were burned down to three courtyards by Danish troops, but then quickly rebuilt. The originally Gothic church of St. Thomas (1) was extensively renovated and renewed in 1861 by district master builder Friedrich Maria Krahe.
One of the most important brickworks in the area, the "Moorhütte" (2, 3, founded in 1799 by the Braunschweig publisher Friedrich Vieweg), stood until demolition in 1978 in Volkmarode. In the first half of the 19th century Volkmarode was a peasant village (4). With industrialization, the place developed into a working-class village and ultimately to a suburban community. In 1974 Volkmarode was incorporated into the city of Braunschweig. Today the place is predominantly residential community with some commercial enterprises.
May 13, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.