This spot was once the location of a grand house, Weardale Manor, which was built by Philip Stanhope, 1st Baron Weardale, in 1906. The 145-room house fell into disrepair soon after his death and was derelict by 1939. The house was demolished at the start of WWII as Sir Winston Churchill feared it would be a navigational aid for bombers aiming to target his home of Chartwell. The spot is an ideal picnic location and affords spectacular views over the Weald.
April 27, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.